Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Friends We Meet Along our Journey


The day after we received our son’s diagnosis, I took him to school and spoke to the school administrator about details for Matthew’s diabetic self-care. Those initial days, I could barely get through a conversation without crying.

As I broke down in tears in the administrator’s office, he quickly told me, “I have someone that I want you to meet.” Looking back, I’m certain that he wasn’t quite sure what to do with a blubbering mother in his office. Nevertheless, he walked me over to the attendance clerk’s office and introduced me to Pat.

Within seconds, Pat wrapped her arms around me and told me that she knew just how I felt. You see, Pat’s own daughter Lilly has type 1 diabetes, as well. Pat spent quite a while just listening to me; she also shared with me that diabetics can have normal lives, but they just have to do things a little differently than before. After many tissues and tears, Pat told me to call on her any time I needed a shoulder or an ear.

Over the course of the next few months, Pat would email me often, or I would stop by her office to ask a question or two. Without fail, Pat always made time for me, not to mention that she would occasionally check on Matthew during the school day.

Shortly after the school year ended, we moved away, and Pat and I lost touch. But, God reunited us one year later.

My daughter and I attended a Christian teen girls’ conference (Revolve Tour) at the Orlando Amway Arena. This venue is huge, and the odds of running into someone you know are a bit slim. During one of the breaks, I heard a voice call my name. Sitting across the aisle from me was my friend Pat.

Pat and I share the same passion, as do all parents of children with type 1—we cling to the hope for a cure for type 1 in our children’s lifetime.

Pat, thank you for sharing your wisdom, love, and encouragement. Perhaps through our new website, I will be able to offer that same encouragement to other families with newly diagnosed children with type 1 diabetes.

http://hope4atype1cure.webs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment